Thursday, March 13, 2008

Settling in

I think by now I've spent more time collectively this week in New York than I have in my entire life. But that's ok. Things are going pretty well. The apartment is nice and we're mostly in, save a few boxes of books and cds we've yet to unpack. But I stole Scott's bookshelf for a pantry so we're not sure where he's going to put those yet. The only complaint we have so far is that the kitchen has absolutely NO kitchen drawers. Yes, none. Nada. So where does one put the things one keeps in kitchen drawers? Sharp knives, scissors, ice cream scoop, pot holders... We hope Ikea gives us some ideas this weekend while we're in Philly to wrap up a few things. Although there is an Ikea not too far from here, thankfully.

Work is going well, I suppose. Apparently having me here has already made a difference. I think they are hiring another designer next week, which will be helpful because I think the three news designers all feel like we're in over our heads. At least I know I do, although today was nice. Only 5 pages to do as opposed to the 10 I've been doing the rest of this week. Tonight I did the covers for Boston and New York in addition to some other stuff. While it was fun, it was also hard to relinquish control of the Philly paper. And tomorrow marks the last day of my first week at the office in New York (I almost typed Philly!). Now if I can get a security badge, I'll be doing well.

Riding the train is fine, although I'm still not sure I'd want to walk home by myself, although it's only a block, but thankfully I don't have to. It takes about 35-40 minutes to get to/from work. I remembered to time it today. But the train ride itself is only about 10 minutes of that; the rest is spent walking, which will be good for my waistline. I ride into the city by myself since Scott doesn't come in till a little later, and I spend most of the time thinking of poignant blogs to write. Like how quiet it is because no one can use their cell phones underground. It's fantastic.

So anyway, just wanted to give an update that doesn't sound like the world is ending, because it's not. We're still very much getting used to it here, but so far, it's not too bad. We might survive :)

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Sweet! I've been waiting for a post! Steph is a New Yorker! Ha! Can't believe it. :)

You guys will get that apartment up and running in no time.

Meaghan said...

You're a tough cookie! You have made it through A LOT of transition and it looks like things are starting to smooth out. Not too bad on timing for the commute, and an Ikea close by? That's just beautiful!

Patti said...

I had the same problem with my kitchen! Not sure if space allows, but this was my solution: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80035920

Glad to hear you're settling in well.