Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Power of Love

As Scott and I surfed the channels of the satellite radio in our rental car this past weekend, something occurred to me: Whatever happened to the power ballad? I used to love that whatever I was feeling, there was a huge, powerful song to match. Or to listen to 327 times on repeat because I danced to it with [insert guy here I liked at the time]. They knew my teen angst. They felt my pain. Celine Dion and Mariah Carey were two my favorite power balladiers. But now, everything is a getcha-booty-movin' dance mix. WHY? Who orchestrated the death of the power ballad? I haven't bought a Celine Dion album since "A New Day Has Come" (2002). And Mariah is the worst offender. Now she's one of the one-named artists who shakes what her mama gave her (or more like what her money gave her). Why did they have to take a good thing, and all that amazing talent, and turn it into bootycall music? I don't get it. Somebody PLEASE write a new power ballad that doesn't make me ashamed to say I'm a fan.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Amen, sister!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should consider switching to country...

Meaghan said...

OH! Now I KNOW your mom is pulling your leg on this one! You are right, there are no power ballads anymore. There are also no more instruments and no more backup harmony. It's all one person who can barely carry a tune and a little technology to back them up. Not good.