Saturday, November 21, 2009

My golden ticket

Actually, it's a little plastic card with a photo of the statue of David on it, but just go with it, k?

This story actually starts about a year ago, but I'll be quick. Last January, MoMA (the Museum of Modern Art) was having an exhibit Scott and I really wanted to go see. For whatever reason, we didn't make it to the museum until the last day of the exhibit, and when we got there, it was sold out. We were about to leave when we found out we could still see it if we bought a year-long membership, and since museums are something we like to do together, we did it. (Hence the little plastic card.) And the exhibit was great. It was a Van Gogh exhibit with Starry Night as the centerpiece. Although for us, Starry Night over the Rhone is even more amazing in person than Starry Night. And it always amazes me to think these are the originals. Like, he actually put the brush to that actual canvas. But I digress...

Right now, MoMA is having a members only preview for a Tim Burton exhibit (you know, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.) This time, we decided to go while only members are allowed, before it's opened to everyone. Figured it would cut back on the crowd. And it was probably good we did, because it was crowded enough as it was. The exhibit is probably the most fun thing we've seen at a museum. Lots of interesting and neat drawings from Tim Burton, and even props and costumes used in some of his movies. But for me, the highlight of the exhibit was a few of the puppets from the welcome scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (yes, the one with Johnny Depp). I LOVE this movie. I can't really explain it. It just tickles me every time. Scott gave it to me for Christmas last year. But I digress again... So they have a couple of these "puppets" on display and it was just really neat to see them in person. They're bigger than I thought they'd be. Unfortunately you're not allowed to take photos in the exhibit, but I highly recommend you watch this clip of what I'm talking about.


In the lobby of the museum

Overall, it's a really neat experience, and if you're in New York, definitely recommended. We'll be going back sometime soon to see the Monet Water Lillies exhibit.

Other shots from just wandering around for a while...


Oh hello there.


Look, New York has one too!

3 comments:

Jean said...

It is still so cool to me that you are having opportunities to do neat things in new york city that most of us can only dream about. I know, I can always come visit, but I'm happy for your opportunity to live there.

Sara said...

That's too fun! My husband is a big Tim Burton fan, and I'm suddenly having visions of a trip to New York...maybe a Christmas present...

Thanks for the tip!

Kate Borders said...

Glad you're enjoying exploring!! Monet is my favorite...

See you next week!
Kate